Two Year Surgiversary and Concerns

It's been two years since I've had surgery, and the one question I still get asked by people when I've told them about having gastric bypass is this:

"Should I get it???"

My not-so-definitive answer is this:

Yes, and only if you're sure.

This is because one, I've had it. And I've survived. If you'd met me a few years ago, I would have been the LEAST likely person to have qualified for surgery. I was headstrong and devoted to junk. Whataburger, Chinese takeaway, and Mexican breakfast tacos were a way of life for this near native of Corpus Christi, Texas. I've lived in Corpus since I was three, so I'm not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could, haha! So I know what it's like to have the mentality of a native Texan and yet have the stomach of a toddler. It is hellish and frustrating. But....

There are some great benefits.

  • Near reversal of my diabetes! My A1c is a 5 at the moment. 
  • No more sleep apnea mask!
  • I can tie my own shoes, and I'm close to rocking a pair of heels. 
  • I'm almost out of the plus sizes. I'm currently hovering at an 18/20 from a size 28/30. Yes, I'm serious!
And several more, but I'm trying to keep this short and simple. 

Gastric bypass, or Roux-en-Y, has given me a second life. I've learned a lot in the process. It has a steep learning curve. Even if you do "all the research", there are still going to be a few things that will throw you for a loop, and honestly, nausea and vomiting will be the least of your concerns, but they will also become a regular part of bariatric life for most. I wish I could make this sound more appealing, but the truth is that weight loss surgery is not a "quick fix". It's not a magic wand. It hasn't solved all of my problems, but it has alleviated a lot of them. 

Let's see what happens next year!

Peace always!


Vanessa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Not So) Skinny on Me

One Step at a Time

Welcome!