Stuck in the Middle with a Stricture

I found this out a few days ago at my checkup on Thursday, April 19th 2018, and I'm still processing it.

My primary care doctor, after looking at my most recent Upper GI exam (I've had this done several times since surgery), burst into the room and just started drawing on the exam room table with his pen, wildly marking out things to me.

I stood there, frozen and bewildered, and then I started to come to when I heard the words:

"You have a stricture."

A stricture is basically a blockage in the stomach that prevents food from being digested.

For two years, I knew that something was wrong.

Yet nothing was showing up in the exams. Until now.


(Image caption: On the left of my doctor's drawing is a "typical" stomach. On the right, mine, swollen and distended, but with food being blocked from digesting because I have a stricture. )

However, since I don't have insurance, there's not much I can do about the blockage right now. I need surgery at some point; I just don't know how it's going to be covered. My primary care doctor is trying to get my records from my weight loss surgeon in McAllen, but I haven't heard anything yet. I plan on going back in a few days to see if he can do anything for me. If not, I don't know what I will do.

The good news is that I know what's going on. The bad news is that I have no idea how to help myself. So for now, I'm just going to continue to follow my motto: Peace, Love, and Protein Shakes! Keep Calm and Carry On, right? I'm trying to be positive, but my strength wanes from time to time. All I can hope for is that I'll get help before the year is over, and that this can all be a distant memory.

Peace always,

Vanessa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Not So) Skinny on Me

One Step at a Time

Welcome!