A Letter to My Body

Two blog posts in one week, and consecutively? Nice!

I had another letter to write in my open letter challenge tonight that I thought would be appropriate for this blog, as it has to do with the one thing I have despised the most in my life--my own body. Here it is. Warning: it's really personal. Yet I am willing to be vulnerable in sharing this anyway, as it is part of my weight loss journey.

Dear Body,

I have to be honest and admit that I have never liked you, ever. I have loathed your existence ever since I was made aware of the fact that I was overweight as a child, and eventually, obese until 2016, when I had gastric bypass surgery.

I have always de-emphasized and minimized you because you were a constant source of public spectacle, ridicule, and embarrassment. I instead chose to be cerebral and neurotic, existing mainly from the neck up, especially my mind.

In fact, even though I have lost weight. I still despise you greatly. You are still completely uncooperative and even worse than ever before. You are completely unreliable. I have been in the Emergency Room more times in the past two years than I have been in my whole life. You provide me no comfort, solace, or joy.

Also, I developed at an early and embarrassing rate, and endured constant taunting from both boys and girls in my classes. Even teachers, higher education professionals, criticized, stared, and made judgments about my body. Every doctor throughout my life has harassed me to lose weight.

Now that I have reduced my weight significantly, it is still not good enough or enjoyable because you simply couldn't tolerate the surgery. There is nothing that I have to thank you for at all. I can only thank The Creator that I happen to still be alive and breathing, and that is all.

So body, while I appreciate your ability to contain my organs and fluids and whatnot, I cannot love you. Not now, or probably ever. It is truly one of my greatest regrets.

Peace always,

Vanessa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Not So) Skinny on Me

One Step at a Time

Welcome!